With the world moving towards and embracing the idea of sustainable lifestyle and environmentally friendly living, the concept of sustainable eating is gaining more and more popularity. In addition to the health benefits of sustainable eating, there are many environmental, economic and social benefits. Let’s understand the concept of sustainable eating.
What is Sustainable Eating?
The term ‘sustainable diet’ refers to the one that is generally healthy and does not have a negative impact on the environment or the food supply. According to the Commission, food production is one of the biggest causes of global environmental change. It points out that vegan and vegetarian diets reduce land use and greenhouse gas emissions the most while vegetarian diets consume the least water.
Sustainable eating is about more than just the food itself. It depends on a number of variables, including the food's production, distribution, packaging, and consumption. While it is a crucial idea to take into account the environment, it is also a trend that is gaining favor among customers, chefs, and home cooks.
Benefits of Sustainable Eating
- Lessens inflammation in the body
- Reduces the risk of medical conditions
- Sustainable food is more nutritious
- Supports Weight Loss
- Sustainable farming practices
- Low environmental impact
- Upholding animal welfare
- Good employment practices and community support
How to Make Sustainable Eating Choices?
Sustainable eating concept can be a little overwhelming at first. By it for sure is not impossible. You don't need to completely change your food habits in one go. We can start slow but make sure to follow them, only then changes can be made and reflected.
It is obvious that what we eat has a significant impact on the ecosystem. Eating more sustainably and healthfully go hand in hand, thus it is possible to adopt sustainable eating habits that help both the planet's and our own health.
The main step to adapting sustainable eating is to make sure you educate yourself with the right facts and information. Becoming a regular to blogs posts and articles like ours will help you out.
Tips To Sustainable Eating
- Reducing the amount of fish, meat and diary you eat.
- Encourage consumption of seasonal foods.
- Source your food locally rather than ones with more air miles.
- Reduce the amount of food wastage and plastic used.
- You can also grow your own vegetables, fruits and herbs!
- Incorporating a lot of plant based food option in your diet
- Only buy and eat certified food to encourage fair-trade
- Reconsider the ratio of food on your plates
- Cut down on processed foods
Living and eating sustainably can be made much easier by belonging to a community of like-minded individuals. You can exchange ideas, benefit from one another's knowledge, and subtly promote change. Join our community and make this change in your life a lot easier!