Happy Earth Day!
Earth Day is here and while we should be taking care of the planet everyday, this is the one day we should for sure show our appreciation for earth and help look after our planet.
Every year on the 22nd of April, Earth day is celebrated all around the world. The first earth day was celebrated in 1970, marking the start of an environmental movement. For the past 52 years we have protested, spread awareness and volunteered for the good of the environment.
Why should we celebrate this day?
In 1970, Senator Gaylord Nelson coined Earth Day as a way to force environmental issues onto the national agenda. They announced that April 22 would be called Earth Day, and their teach-ins turned into 20 million Americans taking to the streets "to demonstrate against the impacts of 150 years of industrial development which had left a growing legacy of serious human health impacts," according to the Earth Day Network.
The impact of this day was huge. It led to the creation of the Environmental Protection Agency and some of our most important environmental laws being passed. The Clean Air Act, the Clean Water Act and more have been passed because of the impact of this day!
Now, this day is all about educating people about conservation, protesting against climate change and global warming and encouraging volunteering for the good of the planet.
But celebrating this day has always been a little challenging for everyone. There are so many things one can do to celebrate and help save the Earth, and we’ve got some amazing ideas below!
- Grow something - Plant a seed
- Ride your bike - Be car free
- Buy reusable bags
- Make a DIY bird feeder
- Create and use recycling bins
- Spread Awareness - Make cards using recycled paper and get the word around!
- Volunteer in environmental organisations and help them with local activities
- Switch all your bills and mails to digital platforms
- Use reusable bottles and stop buying plastic ones
- Organise an event with your community, friends and family. A small cleanup drive maybe!
- Make your workplace more environmentally friendly
- Reconnect with nature - Enjoy nature by taking a walk in the park or beach
- Make a resolution - Take a pledge to follow a sustainable lifestyle as much as you can
- Start a compost
- Donate. Pick a charity of your choice that protects the planet and promotes conservation — and donate!
- Swap out your kitchen products to more eco-friendly options
- Conserve water!
As a way to celebrate this day and to contribute to saving and showing kindness to our planet, we have organised a beach cleanup and a yoga event in Mumbai and Bangalore respectively.
Let's all do our bit to help protect the environment while preserving the beauty of our beloved beaches.